It is time to step outside the confines of an arena and begin to explore the countryside on horseback! Whether you dream of meandering along your local bridleways, relaxing on long peaceful hacks or cantering along a beach, we will help you develop the knowledge and skills to ride out safely in all environments.
By completing this award you will find out:
- How to ride out with a ride leader
- The importance of high visibility (conspicuous) clothing
- The types of hazards you may encounter on a ride
- How to communicate with other road users
Gain the confidence and skills to ride safely on roads and when out and about. Know how to plan routes and prepare yourself and your horse to enjoy the countryside.
- How to ride in an enclosed arena with other riders
- How to ride with the reins in one hand
- Checks to make before setting off
- How to ask other road users to slow down or stop
- Riding out on a road
The focus of the ride out gold award is to use the skills you have learnt riding on the road to ride out confidently in open country on bridleways and across fields with your friends. Riding in a group is a great way to socialise and have fun. The gold award will increase your awareness of your responsibilities when riding out.
You will find out about:
- Regulations for riding out in the UK
- Considerations before riding out
- Riding as a group
- Obstacles or hazards you may come across riding out
You will learn about:
- How to prepare you and your horse
- What to expect on an organised ride
- Hazards you may come across out hacking
- How to ride and lead
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
If you have your own horse, courses are delivered by an Accredited Professional Coach. Your coach can come to your livery yard or British Riding Club grounds.
If you do not own your own horse, or you’re not sure if they would be suitable, don’t worry. There are BHS Approved Riding Centres throughout the UK that deliver challenge awards with their facilities and horses.
You can achieve the challenge awards at your local Approved Centre where they will match you to a horse to ensure your lessons are suitable to your experience.
You are required to join the BHS to participate in the Challenge Awards. Membership starts from as little as £3.66 a month for Silver membership, and we hope you will want to support our charity and enjoy the benefits that come with membership.