Unit 3: Stage 2 Ride will assess your competence in riding individually in an arena showing walk, trot and canter, change of direction and pace through school movements.
- Have an understanding of respecting other users while applying aids to work the horse
- Be able to ride outside in an open space, jump single fences and a small course of 75 centimetres
- Start to evaluate your own riding and the way the horse goes both in flatwork and jumping
BHS Qualifications (BHSQ) is an awarding organisation recognised and regulated by the Office of the Qualifications and Examinations Regulator (Ofqual) in England, SQA Accreditation in Scotland, Qualifications Wales (QW) and the Council for the Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment (CCEA) in Northern Ireland. BHSQ works in partnership with a variety of organisations to develop and award qualifications for the equestrian industry. This ensures BHSQ qualifications are fit for purpose for the sector.
As the awarding organisation, BHSQ is responsible for the processes through which learners seek and obtain certification for their achievements. BHSQ is responsible for verifying that assessment practice in approved centres is conducted systematically, effectively, securely and to national standards specified within the qualification.
The British Horse Society (BHS) is approved as a centre to deliver qualifications regulated by BHSQ. BHSQ and the BHS developed these qualifications in line with feedback received from extensive industry consultation.
Learners taking BHSQ Level 2 (Stage 2) qualifications will either be seeking employment in the industry or will already be employed and are seeking career advancement. It is essential that these qualifications meet the needs of employers and learners. To satisfy these requirements, the qualifications have been developed in collaboration with employers, colleges, coaches, students, and expert groups.
Alternatively, you can download our booking form and send your payment via post.
Please ensure your form reaches us more than two weeks prior to the assessment date, so we can process your booking. The assessment will close for bookings two weeks prior to taking place.
We will always do our best to accommodate your preference for an assessment. However, the venue and date are not confirmed until payment is taken and you have received your written confirmation.
Re-sitting your assessment
If you have been unsuccessful on your first assessment, we encourage you to call us to book a re-sit.
Of course, we will also answer any questions you may have and provide you with feedback at this stage. You may have been successful against some, but not all of the assessment criteria, in which case we can just assess you on the sections on which you were not so strong.
- A minimum age of 14 years
- Stage 1 Ride Award including the BHS Stage 1 Ride award co-requisite, Ride Safe. If you completed your Stage 1 Ride prior to the launch of the BHS Career Pathways, you will be required to complete Ride Safe prior to booking this assessment
- BHS Gold member – Membership discounts apply for students who are training for or taking BHS qualifications
You will be assessed on the following learning outcomes:
- Understand how to ride a horse
- Be able to ride horses in an arena
- Be able to ride horses over show jumps
Download the qualification specification to review the learning outcomes in more detail.
- Two-hour criteria based assessment
Supporting you at every stage, your Skills Record allows you to record your achievements and progression through your career, with pre-assessment sign off criteria and coach endorsements required for career pathways.
Pre-assessment criteria and coach endorsement for this assessment include:
- Ready for assessment form completed – compulsory
- Skill: riding in an open space – compulsory
The above must be approved by a BHS Accredited Professional Coach or Coaches in a BHS Approved Centre.
All applicants are encouraged to undertake practical training at a BHS Approved Centre or with an Accredited Professional Coach to ensure you are ready for your assessment.